Forum

ForumForumDiscussions and...Discussions and...C++C++Is there a trend to replace C++ with Java? Is there a trend to replace C++ with Java?
Previous Previous

Next
 Disabled
New Post
 28/02/2009 16:34

I have heard that there is a general trend to replace C++ with Java.
Does this assertion match common experience?
If so, is the trend based on logic (clear justification), fashion (the latest thing) or emulation (me too)?  

New Post
 13/03/2009 11:41

Depends what you mean by replace.

I suspect that there are many business applications that, when redeveloped, will be done in some other language. I doubt that many apps have been re-written.

So I’d say that C++ has not *replaced* C. There has been a level of ‘trading up’ as embedded processors (ie mobile phones et al) have got more powerful. So I used to see folk on C courses who were writing business apps. A while ago the business apps people went off to C++/VB/Java and were replaced by folk writing Phone apps and ABS controllers.  Now, now the phone and ABS folks have moved off to C++. 

Now that the developer's desktop/laptop is so both more powerful and cheaper, and the developer's time continues to get more expensive, it makes sense for the development environment to do things to help the developer that would have been viewed as ridiculously profligate only a few years ago.  Some of those things are technically hard to do in languages like C++, and are much easier in languages like Java/C#.

So I reckon that new business apps are mostly in Java or C#.  In that sense *new* code is moving away from C++. You would likely use C++ only if you had some very specific cross platform, or performance goals, that Java/C# could not meet.

Cheers,
- Richard
If this post helped you over a problem, or taught you something new, please login and rate it. Ratings are in the drop down in the top left corner
Previous Previous

Next
 Disabled
ForumForumDiscussions and...Discussions and...C++C++Is there a trend to replace C++ with Java? Is there a trend to replace C++ with Java?

Forum Usage Guidelines

The forums are a place for all to exchange ideas and techniques, and to post and answer questions.  All are welcome to read, registration is required to post. 

If you learn somthing new, discover or acquire a new technique, then please take a moment to register and rate the post that just helped you.  This site does not send spam and it does not release your personal details.  Full details in the site privacy policy.

We have some simple posting guidelines to keep the forums a pleasant and informative environment.

• No flames, no trolls
  • No profanity, no racism
  • Site management has the final word on approving or removing any thread, post, or comment
  • English language only please

Copyright 2002-15 by Dynamisys Ltd