Forum

ForumForumDiscussions and...Discussions and...GeneralGeneralMicrosoft Svchost-exeMicrosoft Svchost-exe
Previous Previous

Next Next
New Post
 17/04/2008 10:10

Does anybody know why Svchost.exe sometimes decides to take over my PC - using 97% to 99% of the CPU as well as a huge amount of memory? When it does this, as you might guess, nothing else happens. I have a suspicion it is it prompted to effect this take over by Norton ccSvcHst.exe. Is that likely?
New Post
 17/04/2008 10:51

I don't know.  I do know it is hard to find out.  Svchost.exe runs loads of services that hide in DLL's.  Because of this 'flexibility' I don't know a way of identifying which one is the culprit when it runs amok.  It will be especially difficult if it is unpredictable.

It is possible (note I did not say easy, safe or quick) to reconfigure those services by making registry changes so that one instance of svchost runs one service.  You then have a chance of seeing which ones are greedy and identifying the one that runs amok. 

If it is something that always goes bad (not your case) then you can use MSCONFIG (click Start | Run and type MSCONFIG) to turn off things that are not critical until you identify the bad one.

I have heard of svchost going to 99% being associated with the "Microsoft Update" service.  I could not recommend not using MS Update.  I would have thought that if Norton has their own service program (ccSvcHst.exe) then it would be unlikely they would need to inject their own code into SvcHost.  OTOH it is possible that the Norton program is requesting a greedy slice of a service that SvcHost does deliver.

I have also heard SvcHost implicated with networking.  Does it go away if you pull out the network cable?

Does your machine eventually settle if you leave it?  Or is your only choice to restart it?

Cheers,
- Richard
If this post helped you over a problem, or taught you something new, please login and rate it. Ratings are in the drop down in the top left corner
New Post
 23/07/2008 11:41

The problem persists - but I have an additional piece of information which seems to back up the suspicion that SvcHost is implicated with networking. 
If the PC is switched on with no network connection, the problem does not occur. Although one of several occurrences of SvcHost occupies a chunky slice of memory, the take-over of the CPU takes place within a minute of the PC being connected to the network.

New Post
 23/07/2008 15:05

I have a bit of code; it came from a friend; that goes through the svchost related registry entries and reconfigures them not to share.  This should give a fighting chance of being able to identify the service that pegs your CPU.  One consequence is that you will have *many* more instances of svchost whilst you track this down.

I've never run this bit of code.  It comes with no guarantees although when I glanced through it the comments sounded reasonable.  It does open heart surgery on the registry, and a critical part of the registry. I would not run it unless I was confident that I could recover my machine if it happened to get totalled.

Cheers,
- Richard
If this post helped you over a problem, or taught you something new, please login and rate it. Ratings are in the drop down in the top left corner
Previous Previous

Next Next
ForumForumDiscussions and...Discussions and...GeneralGeneralMicrosoft Svchost-exeMicrosoft Svchost-exe

Forum Usage Guidelines

The forums are a place for all to exchange ideas and techniques, and to post and answer questions.  All are welcome to read, registration is required to post. 

If you learn somthing new, discover or acquire a new technique, then please take a moment to register and rate the post that just helped you.  This site does not send spam and it does not release your personal details.  Full details in the site privacy policy.

We have some simple posting guidelines to keep the forums a pleasant and informative environment.

• No flames, no trolls
  • No profanity, no racism
  • Site management has the final word on approving or removing any thread, post, or comment
  • English language only please

Copyright 2002-15 by Dynamisys Ltd